The mission of Uncommon Good is to break the intergenerational cycle of poverty and to work for the restoration of our planet. These two goals are intertwined, since the alleviation of poverty depends upon having a healthy earth with enough resources to support everyone.
We accomplish these goals by helping underprivileged children succeed in school and go to college, by supporting young doctors who are bringing health and wellness into underserved communities, and through a variety of environmental initiatives.
Uncommon Good was founded in 2000 by Executive Director Nancy Mintie. Previously, Mintie founded and directed a legal and social services center for the homeless and for poor families living in slum housing in Los Angeles.
Her work has garnered national recognition and has been the subject of numerous articles and media stories. Mintie has received many awards including being honored with former President Jimmy Carter on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. She was also recognized by the National Caring Institute and Oprah Winfrey’s Angel Network “Use Your Life Award.”
Uncommon Good has a Board of Directors and an Advisory Board, both of which are composed of leaders from the fields of education, medicine, business and law.
Uncommon Good Board of Directors
- Alison Anderson, Board Co-Chair: Professor of Law Emerita, UCLA Law School
- Benjamin Hunsaker, Board Co-chair: Managing Director, Beach Point Capital Management, LP
- Michael Fay, Board Treasurer: President & Chief Executive Officer, Claremont Financial Group (retired)
- Charles Bayer: Pilgrim Place
- Michael Cobo: Chief Operating Officer, DecisionQuest
- Victor de la Cruz: Partner, Manatt Phelps & Philips
- Janet Evans: Pilgrim Place
- Richard Goetz: Partner, O’Melveny & Myers
- Jill Gomez: Vice President, US Bank
- Norma Grannis: Founder, Isla del Cerrito Micro Credit Project
- Jorge Lazareff, M.D., FAANS: Director, Latin American Initiatives, Center for World Health of the David Geffen School of Medicine
- Margaret Levy: Partner, Manatt Phelps & Phillips
- Marsha Moutrie: Santa Monica City Attorney (retired)
- Liisa Primack
- Dan Randal: Tierra del Sol Foundation (retired)
- Jo Marie Reilly, M.D.: USC-Keck School of Medicine
- Miguel Ruiz: Partner, Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy, LLP
- Deborah Sirius: Partner, Lewis Brisbois
- Lindsay Tragler: Vice President, Marketing & INvestor RElations, Ellington Management Group
- Alejandra Velazquez: Senior Manager, Oportun
- Honorable Carla Woehrle: United States Magistrate Judge, Central District of California (retired)
- Daniel Woods: Partner, Musick, Peeler & Garrett, LLP
Whole Earth Building
Join the Fun at Uncommon Good's DTLA Reception on Wednesday, May 3 at 5:30 pm. Purchase tickets here.
Store Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm & Sat 9am-1pm
04/24/17: Arugula, Avocados, Beets (Golden & Red), Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Chard, Fennel, Grapefruit, Green Beans, Green Onions, Kale ( Dino), Lemons, (Eureka), Leeks, Oranges, (Blood & Valencia), Parsley, Peas, Pomelos, Spinach, Summer Squash, Tangerines.